– Compiled by Victoria Philpott
I agree with the sentiment above, but I have too many friends who regret their holiday tattoos and now have to permanently cover arms, backs and shoulders to hide their shame. I just wanted to show you some of the worst travel tattoos I could find to serve as an image of warning next time you and the girls/lads think it’s a great idea to ‘mark’ the occasion…
1. Yikes, is this on the unlucky person’s back? I’m not sure. I’m guessing this marks the time they went dolphin watching, or took their first drug.
2. Step right up Mr Adventure Man. Who needs photos when you can sketch your whole journey into your back. No tattooing talent required…
3. If you do feel the need to replicate the Buddhist gods down your flank, please ask someone over the age of 5 to do it…
4. A clear case of ‘going too far’ in wanting to mark their lads holiday…
5. News of the World reader: figures.
6. Do you think this was to commemorate the crazy night he spent at sea, or a fairground?
7. “No mum, it’s an artist’s representation of the pain and destruction in other countries maaan.”
8. I went to Amsterdam and all I got was this lousy tattoo.
9. Wow, on her shoulder too. Yikes. One month of joy, 60 years of cover up cardies.
10. Why do the lines run on even though it’s meant to be blowing in the wind? What happened to the 50 stars for 50 states? And the 13 stripes for the British colonies? I hate it.
11. Hmmm, the world looks kind of ok, but what happened to the smudge of a man? This travel tattoo is grim.
12. Looking at this photo makes me feel sick inside. Imagine going for a tattoo across your chest and they spell ‘wherever’ wrong. Easy on the es my friend. I couldn’t live like this.
13. Possibly the worst travel tattoo of them all…
14. I don’t get it. Why is the tiger stepping into a muddy puddle while the spider looks on? I’m guessing she’s trying to replicate some made experience in India, or something…
14. Why can’t tattooists spell? Or at least double check each word in a dictionary? A tattoo is for life, not just for Christmas.
15. Here’s to hoping this person didn’t ask for “a cute koala please”. *Cheers*.
16. Oh god, really? I feel like the tattooist wrote ‘is mme’ and then when he realised he’d spelt it wrong just dotted the i. Focus!
17. Wow, these guys sure like Seattle. Not sure I’d get my home city of ‘Derby’ tattooed like this, or even ‘London’ for that matter.
18. Obviously combining her two loves of make up and NYC. All looks a bit smudged to me – although I’m sure anyone can appreciate the mascara brushes pointing out of the Empire State Building.
19. Hmmm, can’t really work out where this one is on the body. Not that it matters – it’s one of the worst travel tattoos I’ve seen. Thanks.
20. Damn the 90s and the trend for Chinese symbols – who knows what yours might say?
21. WTF? I have no words for this girl’s commemorative tattoo of America.
22. They’re well done, I’ll give her that. But don’t you think they’re really fugly?
23. It’s a little bit funny. But are tattoos meant to be funny? Even I could draw a better llama/goat than this.
24. Is this real? I guess at least it’s useful.
25. I don’t hate it, but did the tattooist lose concentration when he got to the ‘st’?
Thanks to everyone for the images. As these images are so widely used on the internet I found it difficult to credit them. If you feel I’ve used your image and would like to be credited please let me know…
Am I too harsh? Let me know what you think in the comments box below…