By Isabel Clift
Welcome to our June travel blog roundup – loads has been going on in the community this month, and yet again you’ve set the bar high with a line-up of incredible posts showing off places I want to visit ASAP. Let’s hop to it…
Blogger of the month (again!)
Turner Barr of Around the World in 80 Jobs
So normally right now we’d introduce a new blogger, tell you some cool facts about them and link to five posts that make us love them. But this month we’re doing things a little differently: in June, Turner got caught up in an intellectual property battle with a big corporation. We’re making him blogger of the month as kudos for handling a precarious situation with positivity. Here’s how it played out…
- Turner’s first shot: How I Got Fired from the Job I Invented
- The Reddit army fires up and Adecco’s timeline is flooded with people talking about the situation, using the hashtag #makeitright.
- In perhaps a misstep, Adecco posts an update that sounds rather like sorry-you-feel-bad-about-it on Facebook. It doesn’t go down well.
- Think pieces about corporate responsibility start popping up all over the place.
- Turner sets terms: Even Multi-Billion Dollar Corporations Should Apologize When They Are Wrong: An Open Letter to Adecco to #makeitright.
- Adecco accepts with a well-worded Facebook post, and also honours its commitment to the winners of the competition they’re running.
- Bloggers rejoice: How to “Make it Right” in a 2.0 World.
The result: David and Goliath shake hands, competition winners get to try out cool jobs around the world and a Thai Elephant charity gets a $50k boost. I do like a happy ending.
The best travel blog posts in May
Sri Lanka: Shivya from The Shooting Star gives me a list of reasons to visit Sri Lanka immediately with photo-essay Sri Lanka: First Impressions.
Dubai, UAE: Sebastian from Off the Path shows us what to do in Dubai: The fascination of superlatives
Copenhagen, Denmark: Sherry from Ottsworld hunts down Copenhagen Attractions on a Budget – I knew they were out there!
Montevideo, Uruguay: Steve of Back-Packer.org captures colour and vibrancy in 25 photos picturing Montevideo as the perfect Buenos Aires getaway
Russia: Ed from the Polar Route feeds my eyes with his New Destination Gallery: RUSSIA – so many amazing and unusual images of Russia, I can’t take it.
Boracay, Philippines: Melissa To and Fro scouts out a new backpacker party island Social Boracay on a Budget – F-U-N!
Iceland: Frankie Bird of As the Bird Flies adds another destination to my bucket list with her photos in First Impressions: Iceland
USA: Amanda from A Dangerous Business picks Highlights from a Week in the Old South – looks gorgeous, I do declare.
What about us?
June saw us launch a competition to Win a £2000 Volcano Hopping Trip Around Iceland open til July 31st. If I was allowed, I’d be straight on entering to win this out-of-this-world good prize, so get going and do it now.
Blogger Andrew Tipp caused a stir in the comments and on Facebook with guest post The 10 Most Overhyped Travel Attractions (And Where You Should Go Instead) , while other guest poster Tom Stockwell made our mouths water with his 8 Foods to Try in the USA
Summer Solstice was on June 21st, so we dug up some celebration pictures of bonfires and flower garlands: Midsummer Around the World in Pictures
One last blog post of joy…
It was this big, close-up shot of a pile of golden French fries and a mac ‘n’ cheese sandwich that got me. Yes, I repeat, a goddamn mac ‘n’ cheese sandwich. Feast your eyes…