It’s been an amazing five years for HostelBookers, and we want to make sure that we continue to keep budget travel at the heart of everything we do, so in November 2009 we carried out our Biggest Ever Travel Survey to find out more about our customers and their needs.
The results are in, and an overwhelming 10,000 of you responded, sharing everything from the kind of facilities you want in your hostel to your attitudes to love and sex on the road. One participant even won a round the world trip for two for completing the survey – James Dadam is the lucky winner – and he’ll be letting us know what he gets up to on his amazing journey on The HostelBookers Blog.
In the meantime, check out the top ten facts we found out about our customers across the globe…
1. Thought backpackers where all cash-strapped students? Think again. Budget Travel is for the young at heart, with an incredible 41% of those surveyed over 30.
2. More women are travelling than ever before – 60% of our survey takers were female. Check out our guide to female travel for more information.
3. Flashpackers and affluent travelers are on the rise – over 64% of our customers were in employment, and 5.6% were retired. To cater for travelers with a little more money to spend, HostelBookers are now featuring more boutique hostels, budget hotels and private apartments.
4. The traditional summer holiday could be dead – travel habits are changing, with 50.9% of respondents taking 1-3 trips every year. With more cheap flights and accommodation available, it’s no surprise that mini breaks have such wide appeal.
5. When choosing accommodation, location is the most important consideration for backpackers – which is why most of our properties are mapped with GPS so you can see where you’ll be staying. The customer review is as important as ever – they were strongly taken into consideration by most travelers, and considered even more important than property images! Luckily you’ll find both on our site.
6. The Internet remains the number one resource for our customers, whether booking hostels online or keeping up with friends and family. Over 95% of those surveyed check the internet when travelling, with 29.9% going online daily. To answer this demand for the web, more of our hostels are supplying guests with Wi-Fi and internet facilities.
7. Budget Travellers are truly independent – a surprising 30.6% of those surveyed chose to travel alone and only 9.2% were looking for a family break. This makes the sociable atmosphere of hostels an even more appealing choice.
8. Forget the rising cost of the Euro, Europe was by far our most popular destination, whilst budget friendly North America and Asia were also popular.
9. There are a lot of budding travel writers out there – 38.5% of you would like to write a travel blog, but only 13.5% actually find the time to log on and jot down their thoughts. If you need some inspiration, check out the posts on The HostelBookers Blog, or why not contribute? Get in touch and share you travel stories with us!
10. Budget accommodation is back – blame the credit crunch or the rise of the savvy travelers, but 98% of respondents would typically choose budget accommodation over luxury hotels. 55.9% would choose hostels, but budget hotels, guesthouses and bed and breakfasts were popular choices. HostelBookers have responded to this demand for a greater variety of budget accommodation with more than 17,000 properties available in over 3,000 destinations, from Mongolian Yurts to eco-retreats in Brazil.