What would you like to be doing, if you weren’t at your desk/lying on the couch/staring into your phone on the bus right now? Wouldn’t you rather be…
- Hiking the Inca Trail in Peru?
- Watching the northern lights in Iceland?
- Swimming with dolphins in Tanzania?
We thought about it, and came up with 32 outdoor thrills you can try out around the world (including the above) while staying in hostels. Now we want you to tell us which one you’d drop everything to do right now.
The top 15 results will make up our ultimate outdoor thrills page, published in September. All voters will be placed in a draw to win £200 to help make your travel dreams become a reality.
How to vote
Scroll the list below to check out the options, then vote via Twitter by clicking ‘vote here’ under the picture of your favourite outdoor thrill. You will send a tweet voting for your option with the hashtag #OutdoorThrills. Please then go to the @HostelBookers Twitter page, and follow us to become eligible for the prize draw. Voting closes 11.59 GMT 9th September 2013.
One £200 prize-winner will be chosen at random from competition entrants who are following @HostelBookers and have tweeted a vote using the hashtag #OutdoorThrills. The winner will be contacted on 10th Septmeber via a DM on Twitter, and we will announce their name in this post after they have claimed the prize.
So get voting from the outdoor thrills below…
1. Searching for alligators in the Amazon, Peru
Available at Heliconia Amazon River Lodge
2. Kayaking Milford Sound, New Zealand
Available at YHA Te Anau
3. Hiking up the Inca Trail, Peru
Available at Barranco’s Backpackers
4. Exploring the glaciers in Mount Cook, New Zealand
Available at Mount Cook Backpacker Lodge
Photo: Andrea Schaffer
5. Climbing to the crater of Villarrica Volcano, Chile
Available at Backpacker Hostel La Torre Suiza
6. Catching some surf in Surfers Paradise, Australia
Available at Sleeping Inn Surfers Backpackers
7. Gorge swing at Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
Available at Victoria Falls Backpackers
8. Riding elephants in Chiang Mai, Thailand
Available at Nature Lodge
Photo: Dane Low
9. Surfing in Madeira, Portugal
Available at Quinta Splendida Wellness & Botanical Garden
Photo: Miguel Perestrelo – Direccao Regional do Turismo da Madeira.
10. Watching the northern lights in Iceland
Available at Kex Hostel
Photo: The Polar Route
11. Scuba diving in the clear waters of Koh Samui, Thailand
Available at Seascape Beach Resort
Photo: Tourism Thailand
12. Taking a hot air balloon over Cappadocia, Turkey
Available at Travellers’ Cave Pension
13. Horse riding through Pantanal, Brazil
Available at Hostel Inn Pantanal Ecological Expedition
14. Relaxing in the thermal baths of Rotorua, New Zealand
Available at YHA Rotorua
Photo: Finding the Universe
15. Mountaineering tours around the Torres del Paine, Chile
Available at Zapato Amarillo
Photo: Phillie Casablanca
16. Kite-surfing at the famous Tarifa coast, Spain
Available at Hostal Las Margaritas
17. Mountain bike down the Nevis Range, Scotland
Available at Fort William Backpackers
18. Swimming with sharks in Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Available at Hotel Na Balam
19. Paragliding in the Swiss Alps
Available at Swiss Alps Retreat
20. Sandboarding in Florianopolis, Brazil
Available at Barra Beach Club – Oceanfront Hostel
21. Swimming with dolphins in Zanzibar, Tanzania
Available at Imani Beach Villa
22. Hit the slopes in Nozawa Onsen, Japan
Available at Lodge Nagano
23. White water rafting in La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
Available at Cerro Chato Eco Lodge
24. Skydive onto Mission Beach, Australia
Available at Jackaroo Hostel Mission Beach
25. Quad biking in the dunes around Swakopmund & Walvis Bay, Namibia
Available at Loubser’s B&B Self Catering
26. Discovering the Waitomo caves, New Zealand
Available at Kiwi Paka
27. Whale Watching at Costa Playas, Ecuador
Available at La Posada del Sueco
28. Snowboarding at Bad Gastein, Austria
Available at Euro Youth Hotel
29. Canopy Zip Lining in Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica
Available at Pura Vida Guesthouse Hostel
Photo: Tourism Costa Rica
30. Sea kayaking around Hervey Bay, Australia
Available at Flashpackers Hervey Bay
31. Sailing around the Greek islands
Available at Corali Hotel
Photo: Greece Ministry of Tourism
32. Trekking in the Wayanad rainforest, India
Available at Cavalryan Homes
VOTE FOR YOUR FAVOURITE NOW!
Terms and Conditions
1 This Competition is open to anyone aged 18 and over.
2 This Competition is not open to employees of HostelBookers, their family members, HostelBookers’ agents, or anyone professionally connected with the competition.
3 The competition will run from 00:00 GMT 19th August 2013 until 23.59 GMT 9th September 2013
4 Participants enter the competition by submitting their vote on our “Vote for the World’s Best #OutdoorThrills and Win £200” blog post, tweeting their choice and following @hostelbookers on Twitter.
5 Any entries received or processed after the closing date and time will not be accepted.
6 No responsibility is taken for entries which are lost, delayed or misdirected, or cannot be delivered or entered for any technical or other reason.
7 Only one entry per person is allowed.
8 A draw will be used to choose the winner at random on 10th September 2013.
9 The winner will be notified via Twitter within 7 days of the draw. Once the prize has been claimed, the winner will be announced on the HostelBookers blog.
11 If HostelBookers cannot contact the winner within fourteen days of the prize draw, HostelBookers reserves the right to conduct another draw to determine a new winner.
12 Cash prize of £200 will be transferred to winner to use on a travel tour of their choice.
13 HostelBookers reserve the right to refuse entry to participants.
14 By entering this competition, entrants agree to be bound by these terms and those imposed by the other suppliers involved in this competition.
15 Travel insurance is not included in the prizes and it is the prize winner’s responsibility to arrange suitable cover for their needs.
16 HostelBookers act as a booking agent on behalf of our Supplier(s). We do not operate any of the services ourselves. For all bookings your contract will be with the Supplier(s) concerned. The suppliers booking conditions will apply to your contract and details can be obtained on request.
17 This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Twitter.
Thanks to eyeintim for the hero shot from Flickr. Please note all images were used under the Creative Commons License at the time of posting.