This competition is now closed. Find out who won here.
Want to win a dream trip to see the northern lights for you and a friend in Reykjavik, Iceland? Find out how below…
- A private northern lights tour for you and a friend (hosted by a local guide from ToursbyLocals.com)
- A three-night stay in a double or twin room at KEX hostel
- 2x return flights to Reykjavik up to the value of £500
Accommodation, flights and tour must be booked by 10th November 2012 and travel must be completed by 31st March 2013.
Return flights for two to Iceland will be purchased by the winner. HostelBookers will reimburse £500 towards the flights using PayPal.
How do I win?
Post a comment below telling us your invention for a new winter travel accessory. Some ideas to get you started:
Electric thermal trousers: combats that have battery-powered heating elements sewn in, like an electric blanket. For keeping your legs all cosy in strong wind.
Backpack hot toddy dispenser: a tap sticking out of your backpack, connected to a re-fillable pouch inside. Pour in your hot alcoholic drink of choice (mulled wine? Coffee & Bailey’s?) and dispense at timely intervals throughout the day via a staw (ie when you begin to sober up).
We’ll pick a shortlist of the 10 most cool and creative answers, and will draw a winner from these at random on the 28th October 2012.
More about the tour and KEX hostel
The tour: Local guide Guðrún Helga will pick you up from KEX hostel at 8pm, and drive outside of the city to hunt down the lights. While you search the sky for the glimmering green and blue, your guide will share some of her homeland’s traditional stories, along with a thermos of hot chocolate. You’ll begin your journey back to KEX at 11pm with your heart and soul warmed by one of nature’s grandest spectacles. See the Tours by Locals page for more.
Please note: there’s no guarantee that you will be able to see the northern lights, as of course they are entirely dependent on weather. If the skies are not co-operating, Guðrún will be able to give a great city tour instead. But if there’s even the slightest chance of seeing them, she’ll know the best places to look for the lights.
KEX hostel: KEX is located in downtown Reykjavik and offers direct views to the North Atlantic. Housed in an old biscuit factory, KEX is just steps from Reykjavik’s bars, clubs and music venues. Inside, its raw industrial spaces and vintage furnishings combine to give it a homey, eclectic feel. There is a cafe and bar, lounge area, heated outdoor patio, tourist information desk, laundry room, small fitness centre and free Wi-Fi. Two guest kitchenettes and private laundry facilities are also available.
Ts & Cs
- This Competition is open to anyone aged 18 and over.
- This Competition is not open to employees of HostelBookers, their family members, HostelBookers’ agents or anyone professionally connected with the competition.
- The competition will run from 10.00 GMT Tuesday 15th October 2012 until 23.59 GMT Sunday 28th October 2012.
- Participants enter the competition by posting a comment on the blog post.
- Any entries received or processed after the closing date will not be accepted. By entering the competition the participant agrees to participate in such promotional activity, including automatic subscription to our newsletter.
- No responsibility is taken for entries which are lost, delayed or misdirected, or cannot be delivered or entered for any technical or other reason.
- Only one entry is allowed per person.
- 10 finalists will be chosen by HostelBookers based on the most creative answers and among the finalist a draw will be used to choose the winner at random.
- The winner will be notified via email on the 29th October 2012 and announced on HostelBookers blog once the prize has been claimed.
- The winner will be required to provide full name and PayPal account details.
- No cash or other alternative is available to the accommodation prizes.
- The prize must be taken by the prize winner and may not be transferred to or taken by any third party.
- If HostelBookers cannot contact the winner within fourteen days of the prize draw, HostelBookers reserves the right to conduct another prize draw to determine a new winner.
- Accommodation stays must be booked by 10th November 2012 and must be completed by 31st March 2013.
- Participants are recommended to check the up to date position on visa, passport and health requirements, with the Supplier(s) concerned, Passport Office, appropriate embassy or consulate or your doctor as applicable in good time before departure
- By entering this competition, entrants agree to be bound by these terms and those imposed by the accommodation suppliers.
- HostelBookers act as a booking agent on behalf of our Supplier(s). We do not operate any of the services ourselves. For all bookings your contract will be with the Supplier(s) concerned. The suppliers booking conditions will apply to your contract and details can be obtained on request.
- HostelBookers reserve the right to refuse entry to participants.
- HostelBookers is a registered company in England. The laws of England shall apply to all matters arising from or relating to this competition.
Featured on ThePrizeFinder – UK Competitions