Hostel | 3 Mikszáth Kálmán tér (square), Budapest, Hungary 1088
141 out of 161 customers would recommend this property
Recent review (26/08/2014)
Stephen Di Lorenzo thinks…
"Minoo house is unique. It is not for everyone, as it says plainly on its page. It really is a community house hand built by people who are involved in the culture of this amazing city. It is for…"Read all Minoo House reviews
- Self-catering Facilities
- No curfew
- Free city tour
- Secure lockers
- Lounge area
- Internet / Wi-Fi
- 24 hour reception
- 24 hour hot showers
- Tours/Travel Desk
- Washing machines
- Laundry service
- Common area / room
- Communal kitchen
- Elevator / lift(s)
- Internet access in public areas
- Outside area
- Luggage Room
Customers can cancel their reservation free of charge up to 2 days before arrival (local time). Payments made to HostelBookers are non-refundable.
Earliest check-in: 12:00
Latest Check-out: 22:00
Group of 15 or more traveling to Budapest?Contact us directly
See other properties in Budapest
Sunyfly Hostel and Apartment
BpArt Hostel&Lounge Bar
Central Hotel 21
Enter dates to check prices
|Shared Rooms A shared room (typically a dorm) is a bedroom which you share with other people from the property. The number of beds in a room is shown in the room name, e.g. ‘5 Bed Dorm’, and you can book as many as you need. Some properties have male only dorms and female only dorms.|
7 Bed Dorm - Mixed (Shared bathroom)Self-catering
5 Bed Dorm - Mixed (Shared bathroom)Self-catering
4 Bed Dorm - Mixed (Shared bathroom)Self-catering
5 Bed Dorm - Mixed (Shared bathroom)Self-catering
|Private Rooms A private room is a room that is not shared with other people from the property – in other words, you book and pay for all the beds in the room. If you are traveling alone, for example, but want to book a double room, you must pay for two people in order to book the whole room.|
Double Garden View (Shared bathroom)Self-catering
Triple Garden View (Shared bathroom)Self-catering
Double (Shared bathroom)No meals or drinks included
Budget 5 person (Shared bathroom)Self-catering
Triple (Shared bathroom)Self-catering
2 person Garden View (Shared bathroom)Self-catering
Single (Shared bathroom)Self-catering
2 person (Shared bathroom)Self-catering
4 person (Shared bathroom)Self-catering
About Minoo House
Almost everything inside Minoo House is designed and made by the young and talented people of Budapest, down to the beds and the bathrooms and is almost exclusively created out of natural, and/or recycled materials.
• We try to embrace the principles of living green in an urban environment. We are home to a lot of plants, recycle everything we can, air-dry the washing when we can, and try to use non-toxic cleaning materials where possible.
• We have a cinema room decked out with original old cinema chairs (red, of course) and a projector.
• The kitchen is stocked up with herbs and spices and all the tools to make delicious meals.
• The building itself! The original house belonged to cashed-up, aristocratic horse-lovers before the communist era and the upper floor is designed to be a horse-viewing gallery- it now overlooks a leafy courtyard.
• All of the dorm rooms are designed with multi-levelled mezzanines to give everybody more privacy and eradicate the mental institution/ hospital feeling you sometimes find in hostels.
• The size of the hostel, we think, is perfect. At maximum capacity it holds 40 people; big enough to have a choice of new friends if you want, or disappear into the crowd if you want, but small enough to keep the place intimate and home-like.
• Even though the house was abandoned after communism and has suffered long periods of neglect it still has many original features like the doors and doorknobs, the windows, the wood stove in the kitchen, and the wooden and stone flooring. During the renovation, we didn’t destroy anything, restored everything we could and only built from scratch was was non-existent when we took over.
• Everybody who works at and runs Minoo House is involved in the cultural life of Budapest, and we have weekly write-ups for the goings-on in the city to give all of our guests the best chance to enjoy its vibrant cultural life. Whatever you are after, just ask. We love this city and we like to meet people who want to explore it, too.
• We are happily located next door to the best coffee shop in Budapest, Lumen, and you can get great breakfasts from Mi, the bar and cafe inside our courtyard.
• We are always evolving.
Maybe Minoo House is not for you?
There are HUNDREDS of hostels in Budapest. We really want people to enjoy themselves when they stay with us. Please have a read about us and check the photos before you book.
Some things to consider:
• The hostel is HANDMADE and the building is OLD. While we took utmost pains to create something beautiful and functional, we are not perfect. If having a creaky door will ruin your holiday, please stay somewhere else.
• Minoo House is on a busy square and has a bar in its courtyard. On weekends in summer, it can get noisy late at night. It quietens down at about 1am, but again, if its something that is likely to bother you, please choose a different place to stay.
• We are NOT a party hostel and screaming drunks are not our thing. We are happy for you to have a beverage (or three) at home, and have been known to partake ourselves but if you want to party, head to the city. We try to respect the space and quiet of everybody staying here.
• We are a hostel, not a hotel. If you need pristine conditions and icy formality to feel comfortable, each to their own! But you probably won't like it here. People with unrealistic expectations of the pretty friendly and down-to earth service we provide are also not our thing. Lets save us both the hassle. Saying that, if there is anything you are not happy about, please tell someone and we will try our best to solve the problem.
We don’t think this should need saying, but just in case you were wondering...
• We have wifi. It is fast, and free.
• The hostel is very safe. We have keyless entry, security doors, personal lockers for dorm sleepers and if you are staying in a private room you keep your own key.
• We don’t have bunk beds.
• We provide freshly laundered linen and towels.
• The entire hostel is cleaned, top to bottom, thoroughly, daily.
• You can come and go as you please.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT CHECK-IN!!
Tell us your arrival time!
While during the high season (July and August) we have 24 hour reception, the rest of the year we ask you to please tell us your time of arrival, in advance, and confirm it at least 48 hours before you arrive.
It helps us organise our days and to make sure that someone will be there to greet you when you arrive. Its a big help- thank you:)
Serious stuff to note:
• Getting local currency. Don’t change too much money at the airport, train or bus stations. They tend to give a bad rate. Withdraw money from an ATM, or, if you only have cash to change, just change enough you to the hostel (a few euro for public transport, or if you are taking a taxi- 20 euro from the airport and 10 euro from the train station). Once inside the city the exchange rates are a lot better.
• Fixing up the bill. Payment is in full on arrival, for everybody. Cash only, Euro or Hungarian Forint.
• Check in/ check out. Our check in time is 1pm. Our check out time is 11am. If you are arriving earlier, or leaving later, you are welcome to continue to use the hostel’s facilities or leave your luggage with us until your room is ready or your bus/plane/train is leaving. No worries.
• Cancellation Fees. Please, if your plans change, tell us in time. No-shows and late cancellations make it impossible for us to resell your beds. We are a small business, and the little things hit hard.
1 min from home roasted coffee
2 min from delicious restaurants
3 min from non stop supermarket
4 min from metro and public transport
5 min from atm and money xchange
6 min from the river
7 min from the the nightlife district
8 min from GOD