Written by Isabel Clift
February’s the shortest month of the year but has loads going on – it’s small but mighty, you might say. So while we’ve been covering the horse meat scandal, Valentine’s Day and the Oscars, what’s been going down in the world of travel blogging?
Blogger of the month
Nicole from Bitten by the Travel Bug
Nicole began her blog when she couldn’t find any good info on what it’s like to work in US summer camps. She’s still going strong, living between London and Melbourne, working in radio and TV, studying for a degree and running a collection of blogs – while still finding time to travel the world. Nicole, we salute you!
Why we love her…
- She tries new things: Doing One Thing That Scares Me: Trying New Foods (Particularly Seafood)
- She’s full of travel tips: Four Tips to Save Money When Booking Flights
- She helps out first-time travellers: First Time in Hong Kong? 5 Must See Sites
- Her pictures tell a story: Travel Bug Tuesday: Hornbill Feeding in Pangkor, Malaysia
- She reviews honestly: A Little Bit of Luxury (Hostel) at London’s Palmer’s Lodge Swiss Cottage
The best travel blog posts in February
World: Links and resources for women travellers from the creator of the #WeGoSolo hashtag: Ode to the lady traveller: Why we need the #WeGoSolo movement by Mariellen of Breathe Dream Go
World: Make travel dreams reality with these steps: Save, Plan, Book, Quit, Travel – Your Backpacking Dream Really Is That Simple! by Chris from Backpacker Banter
World: See how a backpacking family does it in Travelling with Children – an Interview with Living Outside of the Box by Jade from Our Oyster.
What about us?
Food: From the foodie sublime to the ridiculous: we posted The New York Street Food Guide and Horse Meat you’ll WANT to Eat? 12 Dishes Around the World in the same week.
Oscars: We threw our own Oscars party in the form of a post… 7 Destinations the Oscars Put on the Map
One last blog post of joy…
A fab selection of non-cliché romantic restaurants in New York, good for every day as well as V-day (oh, and there are bars too) – written by an NY food obsessive.